Wherever you go to an Indian restaurant for dinner or lunch, you will see a tray full of pickles or small bowls of different chutneys. Can you imagine eating chicken tikka without mint chutney or masala dosa without coconut chutney? Well, if you ask us, we can’t! For many of us, Indian food is incomplete without these pungent and tangy spices. No wonder, these spices have the power to prepare any meal in a matter of minutes. If this is the case with you too, then here we bring you an easy-to-make recipe for making South Indian Coconut Chutney at home. This recipe has been shared by Chef Ranveer Brar on his Instagram.
This quintessential South Indian masala not only adds flavor to your food but also enhances the flavor of the very tangy and spicy sambhar that naturally goes with it. So without delaying let’s start with the recipe. Take a look at the video below.
About South Indian Style Coconut Chutney Recipe: How to make South Indian Style Coconut Chutney
- 1 whole coconut
- 3-4 fresh green chilies
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp Roasted Chana
- 6-8 cashew nuts
- 1 inch ginger
- salt to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut oil/refined oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp gota urad
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
Steps to make:
- Firstly, take a grinder jar, add coconut, green chili, cumin, roasted gram, cashew, ginger, salt and grind it finely.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, gota urad, chana dal, dry red chillies, curry leaves and sauté till walnuts turn brown.
- Now take out the coconut paste in a bowl, add lemon juice and half the tempering and mix it well.
- Transfer to serving bowl, garnish with remaining tempering and enjoy!
Try this recipe and let us know how it tasted in the comments below.