GUJARAT: A teenager died in a fire in an apartment in an Ahmedabad building
AHMEDABAD FIRE: A 17-year-old girl died in a fire on the seventh floor of a residential building here in Gujarat on Saturday, while four members of her family escaped, officials said.
A fire broke out in the morning at the 11-storey Orchid Green Society located in Shahibagh area.
“Firefighters rescued the girl, Pranjal Jirawala, from the balcony of the seventh-floor apartment. She was taken to the hospital in an unconscious state, where she died,” said Divisional Fire Officer Om Jadeja. At least 40 residents were safely evacuated from the upper floors of the building, he said.
Prima facie, the fire was caused by overheating of electrical wiring, Jadeja said, adding that the geyser in the bathroom of the affected apartment had been switched on.
The fire broke out in the flat where Suresh Jirawala lives with his wife and two children. His daughter-in-law was also staying with him. He had gone to take a bath in the morning and the bedroom was locked. Suddenly there was a fire. and spread in the bedroom,” Jadeja said.
As the fire spread, Jirawala, his wife and two children ran out, but Franjal was trapped. “She shouted for help from the balcony of the iron-grilled flat. The rescue team entered the flat from the eighth floor using ladders and other equipment and cut the grill,” Jadeja said.
The girl was unconscious but responsive when rescued. She was rushed to the hospital but “could not survive as she was suffering from burning sensation and was in shock,” he added.
Jadeja said 15 fire tenders were used and the rescue operation took 35-40 minutes. The fire is under control.