Melbourne, Dec 7 (PTI) Unwilling to allow his family to become a “washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry”, a furious David Warner on Wednesday withdrew his application to revoke his lifetime captaincy ban. “General Massacre”.
Warner was banned for life for ball-tampering in the 2018 Cape Town Test. After Cricket Australia changed its code of conduct last month, he filed for a review, hoping it would clear the way for him to be considered for the captaincy. once again.
However, the 36-year-old has now relinquished his captaincy and castigated the Cricket Australia team for making “offensive” comments and questioned the entire process.
“…despite my protest, on Tuesday last week, the review committee and the assistant counsel for the review committee devised a novel irregular procedure (reversing presumptions and previous procedures) to decide my application.
This approach will adversely affect the health and welfare of my family and the interests of the Australian cricket team,” Warner posted on social media in a statement.
“In his submissions, counsel made hurtful and unhelpful comments about me which served no substantive purpose under the Code of Conduct.
“Regrettably, the review panel acted contrary to the submissions of Cricket Australia and my counsel and fully accepted the position of counsel assistant.” Warner felt the group wanted to play
to the gallery and make him a public spectacle, and he wasn’t ready to go through the ordeal once again.
“Consequently, the Counsel Assisting and, to some extent, the Review Panel, want to hold a public inquiry into me and what happened during the third Test at Newlands. They want to hold a public event to “clean up,” in the words of the group. I am not ready for my family to be a washing machine for cricket’s dirty laundry. “…few things are more important than cricket.” In his more than 700-word statement, Warner said he submitted a request to review the review board’s procedural decision.
“Having had nearly a week to consider that proposal, today the Review Panel has decided to ignore the request in any meaningful way and has rejected the substantive issues,” he wrote.
“It appears that the committee has offered little other than to consider issues of player welfare and the interests of Australian cricket and is instead determined to conduct
a public execution.” Warner spoke about the effect the ban had on his family and his efforts since then.
“My family is more important to me than cricket,” he wrote.
“In the last five years since the events of the third Test in Cape Town, despite all the humiliation and attacks they have had to endure, I have enjoyed the unwavering support and love of my wife Candice. My three daughters, Ivy Mae, Indy Rae and Isla Rose. They are my world.
“Though my ban from those Test and leadership roles has not been lifted, I have taken it upon myself to reform, rehabilitate and change my approach to the game,” Warner said in a post shared on his Twitter handle.
“I am serving a crushing, unprecedented, sentence that has taken a toll on me and my family over the past five years.”
This report is automatically generated from PTI news service. cleverread is not responsible for its content.