Norovirus confirmed for many students in Kochi school…
KOCHI: Several students of a private school here were diagnosed with norovirus on Monday
Several students studying in a private school in Kerala have been diagnosed with norovirus. Students studying in a private school in Kakkanath were showing symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea. Some parents also tested positive.
Earlier, since the end of May, 154 cases of norovirus had been reported in the UK, and this was three times the increase over the same period in the previous five years, PHE said. Of greater concern regarding the spread of this virus is that it is increasingly being reported in educational settings, particularly in nurseries and childcare facilities.
What is norovirus?
Also known as the winter vomiting bug, norovirus is a highly contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Noroviruses (NoV) are genetically diverse single-stranded positive-sense RNA, non-enveloped viruses belonging to the family Caliciviridae.
People infected with norovirus can shed billions of virus particles around them. Only a few of them should make others sick – exactly 18 virus particles
This upset stomach can be very unpleasant but usually goes away in a couple of days. People of all ages can get sick from norovirus. Because there are so many different types of norovirus, a person can get sick with norovirus multiple times in their lifetime, according to the CDC.
What are the symptoms of norovirus infection?
Norovirus is the most common cause of vomiting and diarrhea and foodborne illness. Symptoms of norovirus infection include
- Abdominal pain
- fever cold
- Body pains